Saturday, October 11, 2008

I Knew I Should Have Taken Off My Shoes!

For today's Show & Tell, I've brought a song by the Monkees. I think this song is intelligent and funny, it's an epic song about a guy who thinks twice after getting drunk and throwing himself into the river because his date blew him off. (But wait, it really is funny!) I mean, these are really the sorts of things you would probably think about if you were stuck floating in a river. Listen to the video as you read along, so you don't miss any of the lyrics:



"I'm floating in the river with a saturated liver,
and I wish I could forgive her
But I do believe she meant it when she told me to forget it,
And I bet she will regret it
when they find me in the morning wet and drowned,
and word gets 'round. Goin' down... goin' down...

I'm coming up for air, it's pretty stuffy under there.
I'd like to say I didn't care,
But I forgot to leave a note, and it's so hard to stay afloat,
I'm soaking wet without a boat,
And I knew I should have taken off my shoes!
It's front page news. Goin' down... goin' down...

Help! Help! Help! Help! Help help! 
Help help! Help! Help help! Help help!

I wish I had another drink, it wouldn't be so hard to sink,
I shoulda taken time to think,
Besides I got the picture straight, she must have had another date,
I didn't need this extra weight.
I wish that I could see the way to shore!
I don't want no more. Goin' down... I'm goin' down...

Now I see the life I led, I slept it all away in bed,
I shoulda learned to swim instead,
Now this got me really stumped, I can't believe at why I jumped,
I'd like to get my tummy pumped,
I can't believe they drink this stuff in town!
This muddy brown! I'm goin' down... going down...

I'm going down, going down, help help! 
I'm down... going down...

I wished I looked before I leaped,
I didn't know it was so deep!
Been down so far I don't get wet,
Haven't touched the bottom yet.
This river scene is gettin' old,
I'm hungry, sleepy, wet and cold.
She told me to forget it nice,
I should have taken her advice.
I only wanna go on home,
I'd gladly leave that girl alone.
What a way to spend the night,
If I don't drown, I'll die of fright!
My pappy taught me how to float,
But I can't swim a single note.
Threw me in to teach me how,
I stayed there floatin' like a mama cow,
And now I've floated way down stream,
I know this has to be a dream!
If I could find my way to shore
I'd never never do this anymore!
I'd give you three, I've been down nine,
I'm a-goin' down justa one more time!

Goin' down... goin' down
I want back back back back
Goin' down... goin' down
I'm going back back back
Goin' down... goin' down
I'm going back home...
Back to my friends...
Back to the world...
Back to the truth...
I'm going home...

Now the sky is gettin' light,
Everything will be all right.
I think I've finally got the knack
Of just floatin' and lazin' on my back.
I never really liked that town,
I think I'll ride the river down
Just movin' slow and floatin' free
There's a river swinging under me.
Waving back to the folks on shore,
I shoulda thought of this before!
I'll float on down to New Orleans,
And pick up on some swingin' scenes!
I know I'll know a better day,
I'll go down groovin' all the way!

I'm goin' down... goin' down...
I'm going back home...
Goin' down... Help! Help!
I'm goin' down... goin' down...

No comments:

Post a Comment