*~The First Story~*
At work, the boss's brother comes to work every Thursday. He is mentally disabled, and so sometimes has trouble pronouncing people's names. For example, Sebastian becomes "Semester", Anastasia becomes "Anesthesia", and Raul becomes "RAH-hoo". Since "RAH-hoo" works in the office, we tried to teach boss's brother to say Raul: Say "Rah" -- He says "Rah" -- Say "ool" -- He says "oo" -- Say "oo-lah" (to exaggerate the "L" sound) -- He says "oo-lah" -- Ok, now say "Rah-ool" -- He says "Rah-hula" We decided it was better to let him say "RAH-hoo."
*~The Second Story~*
I used to work as receptionist for an orthodontist, and there was one patient who's last name was Huisenga. Every time I filed this folder, I pronounced the name to myself: "Hwi-SEN-gah" That's how I thought it should be pronounced.
Then one day, a patient's father called up: Hello, this is Mr. "HEW-zen-gay" -- I ask how to spell that.
He says H U I S E N G A.
*~The Third Story~*
Again as receptionist for the orthodontist, a mom called to make an appointment for her daughter Tamara. I wasn't sure how to pronounce the name, so after pulling the file, I said "You'd like an appointment for Ta-MAR-ah?" And Mom says, "No, actually Friday would be better."
A few months later, the same mom calls again to make another appointment. I've completely forgotten about the last time. I say "You'd like an appointment for Ta-MAR-ah?" And Mom says, "No, actually Friday would be better." DOH!! I totally laugh at myself.
A few months after that, Mom calls again. This time I remember, and I'm prepared. "Would you like an appointment for Friday?" Mom says, "No, actually tomorrow would be better."

LOL!!! When I worked in the emergency room as an access coordinator I had major trouble pronouncing people's names. Sometimes I cringed knowing I was going to totally pronounce a name wrong.
ReplyDelete